Cemetery Ridge Sources
This image is titled "Old Cast-Iron Gun Carriage, Formerly Used to Mark the Field." The location is at the position of the 2nd Connecticut Artillery Battery on Cemetery Ridge. The 1895 commission report states: "The volunteer batteries of the Union Army on the grounds of the Memorial Association are generally represented by one gun and mounted upon inferior carriages. This commission resolved to substitute an improved iron gun carriage. Sixty-two new carriages have been contracted for. Of these about 36 have been furnished by the contractor and placed on the field and mounted with the kind of gun used by each battery, respectively in the battle. The others will be put in position as soon as supplied by the contractor. Excellent granite foundation stones support each carriage. The following have already been placed on the Union lines, ...(page 22) Editor's Note: None of the batteries mentioned were along Cemetery Ridge in the 1895 report. This photograph was taken facing southwest circa 1895. Annual Reports of the Gettysburg National Military Park Commission to the Secretary of War, 1893-1904. Washington. Government Printing Office, 1905.